To check if Kiwix is actually installed, if you go to http://10.10.10.10:81 does it show the Kiwix management page? Also, if you can SSH in or run commands, if you do “sudo systemctl status kiwix” it will say something like “unit kiwix.service could not be found.” if it is not installed.
In case it isn’t installed I’ve edited an installer script to just install the latest Kiwix-serve. These are the instructions.
- Download kiwix.zip and unzip it,
- Place the kiwix folder on the /boot drive of your MicroSD. if you plug it into a windows computer with a card reader it should show up.
- Connect your pi to the internet.
- Either SSH into the pi or plug a keyboard into the pi and connect it to a monitor.
- Run command “cd /boot/kiwix”.
- Run command “sudo ./kiwix.py”
- Once it’s complete it should say installed successfully.
- Delete the kiwix folder either in windows or with the command “sudo rm -rf /boot/kiwix”
Kiwix should be installed. If you can’t connect it to internet I can add the kiwix-serve package to the zip and make the installer run it locally for you.
If Kiwix still doesn’t work after adding zims, try rebooting or sorting modules in the admin interface and hitting save. This makes it look for zims in the modules directory. Make sure the module is not hidden in the sort page as this will cause it to be skiped and the zim file won’t be added.
If that doesn’t work, there is a bug that is fixed by going directly to the link for the zim that I’ve detailed a bit in this readme.. Once you’ve gone to the link and refresh the page in your browser the zim will show from then on. I hope one of these things helps.