Minecraft on RACHEL?

Is it possible to get a local version of Minecraft on a RACHEL server? I think this would be a neat way for the kids to connect and play together while developing their reading and math skills.

1 Like

I prefer the open source MineTest which I put on Internet in a Box.

1 Like

Thank you Timm! I was not aware of Minetest. Would that work on the Rachel server? Do you know if the kids could interact with each other simultaneously?

I think with the Raspberry Pi Minecraft servers are a common project. The server would run on the RACHEL-Pi and then anyone connected to it would be able to access the server and play together. They would have to run it on their own devices though. This article talks about it a bit. If that’s what you’re looking for I can look at getting it working.

Yeah that is what I am looking for! Thank you! The students will have access to a computer and will be connected to the RACHEL server via their WiFi connection. Is there something else they would need?
I think something like this would really help get the students engaged in the computers and wanting to learn how they work. Minecraft has so many possibilities.

1 Like

This will require an installation script and maybe custom module or something to turn the server on and off. I am working on new RACHEL-Pi images right now so once those are out I will look at it and see how it goes.

James

1 Like

@jamesk looking forward to new images, thanks James

1 Like

I was hoping to upload last week so I could move on to fun stuff like this, but I keep running into issues with Raspbian Buster. I’m trying to maintain support for the Raspberry Pi 2B but the system crashes when anyone connects to the hotspot when using the edimax USB wifi adapter. I might drop 2B support for now and release new images when that is fixed and Pi4 USB booting is added.

1 Like