Moodle on RACHEL?

Hi Josh - it looks like @jfield and @sam will have moodle working on RACHEL-Plus shortly.

3 Likes

Hi Joshua,

I was able to install Moodlebox and get it working on RPi 3. I haven’t made any courses yet, though. Got too busy with summer project. Long term, I want to put especially an ESL class on it with audio and video. Did communicate with Nicolas Martignoni. Great guy.

Dana

1 Like

Indeed - we will be shipping moodle on the RACHEL-Plus within two weeks. Updating older devices will be possible but will require some work.

5 Likes

Hi, I’ve been following your amazing work. We too are very interested in using RACHEL plus as a server for moodle and for other educational services. However, I’m a bit concerned about its capacity to work as a server and about number of users can be served simultaneously.

Ali

1 Like

Moodle friends, I am unable to access Moodle after uploading the module via admin/install on a SSD. I do get an error message 404-not found.
On the install I can find two moodle modules - do I need both, only one, which one would be the correct one?

1 Like

Hi @rodiwv

Sorry about that, the fix will be included in the firmware update here: Update Firmware on RACHEL-Plus 2.0 (WAPD-235N Model)

We really should not have two versions of Moodle on the app center. @sam @jfield let’s discuss

1 Like

Hi - as it stands moodle on RACHEL can only work if the RACHEL was built with the 2.1+ installer (you can see this on your RACHEL “version” page in the admin section. If your installer is earlier than 2.1, you’ll need to do a system update via USB. Let me know what version you have - instructions on updating the system via USB are forthcoming.

As to the two versions - use en-moodle; that is the one that is tested to work. The other was part of some future plans, but I have hidden it for now. Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

this might be the problem, I installed it from a USB image and it says Rachel installer 20170711. I also failed to install KAlite System software. Do I need to use a different USB image?

2 Likes

The latest USB is here – if you have 2.0 hardware (the model number on the back says WAPD-235N) then you can use the 2.3.0 USB which includes moodle and everything. It should not remove any existing content. Give it a try and let me know how it goes – we have had good results so far, but this is the largest update rollout our small organization has ever done so we’re very interested in feedback on any problems you encounter.

1. power off the device
  2. insert the recover USB (imaged from the 2.3.0 file linked above)
  3. power on and let run until the lights stop flashing and remain on (about 8 minutes)
  4. power off, remove USB, power on again
1 Like

The update installed well but the problem with moodle and KAlite still persists. I deleted Moodle and re-installed - still with the error 404. The installation of KA lite has again failed.

1 Like

Are you able to put your device online (through the ethernet port) and send me the device ID (listed under the “hardware” tab)? I would like to take a remote look at your unit and see what happened. Thanks!

1 Like

Glad to know about your interest! RACHEL PLUS can connect a maximum of 40 devices. Depending on device speed, 30 devices work perfectly.

1 Like

yes - the new image 2.3.0 did not work - now I have installed an older image v2.1.1 and it did install after re-formatting the SSD on NTSF. MY Cap2 is now online ID A4AFA8.
en-Moodle installed and is running, KA lite System Software 0.17.0 is installed and en-kalite is working as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up. I was not able to take a look at it while it was online (looks like it went back offline two days ago).

I’m not sure what happened there, but if your device is working I am glad to hear it.

1 Like

yes the device works well - had to use the older image as mentioned before. Tx for your support! RD

2 Likes

I would like to use Moodle on the CAP 2.0 described below.

1. What version of the USB Recover/Update should I use?
  2. Should I do anything else such as removing and reinstalling Moodle?

Thanks, Ed

Hardware: Intel CAP 2.0 (x86_64) Device ID: A4AF94
RACHEL Installer: v2.0.0
KA Lite 0.17.0
Kiwix 0.9
Content Shell: v2.3.5

1 Like

Hi Ed,

Moodle should be installed if you use CAP2_RACHEL_Recovery_USB_2.3.0.img.zip – you should not have to add/remove anything as the recovery should install a fresh copy. However I’ve heard reports that Moodle may require you to have access to a working email address to complete setup. Just something to be aware of.

1 Like

We have the new RACHEL v3.0 which has Moodle installed, but I can’t find a way to get into the Moodle Admin account so that I can set up users and create courses. There is a reference to logging in to online Moodle manager somehow, but that won’t work with a non-internet connected device. Can anyone tell me what admin password was used to install Moodle on these new devices?

1 Like

Hi @LeonA – I don’t see why we would have used a password, but if we had to, it would have been admin / Rachel+1.

I myself haven’t figured out how to use Moodle, but I just generally don’t know how to use it. I would love to see progress made on this though, so please let me know if you’re able to.

1 Like

I tried those default user/password, but it didn’t work. I suspect someone initially installed Moodle and applied differenct account credentials. I’ll check with some of my former colleagues and see if I can find some way to crack it. I’ve taught college courses on Moodle and some of its competing platforms, and even served as a user-side admin for one, so I understand how an online course delivery platform should work. But this seems to be stuck in the “student” view mode and won’t allow me to create a brand new course or enroll students. If I find a break-through, I will be sure to report back.
UPDATE:
After resetting everything and consulting some former Moodle server administrator friends, I finally managed to get into the Moodle admin account without needing a live internet connection. This may help others" - -the Moodle admin is "admin@localhost.com" and password is “Rachel+1”. From there you can create new users and assign roles of Course Creator, Teacher, Student, etc, then create a new course, edit it, enroll users, and add content.

3 Likes